Nashville’s tourism boom fuels hotel development

Pictured: Rendering of Tempo by Hilton Nashville Downtown.

Visitors are flocking to the Music City in the United States, leading to a rush for hotel development in the area.

According to tourism economics figures cited by the Nashville Convention & Visitors’ Corporation, the number of travelers in 2022 is expected to exceed 14.4 million, surpassing the previous record of 14.1 million in 2019.

Hotel bounce

Reflecting this boom, hotel development is also on the rise in the Tennessee state capital. The company cites figures from STR and NCVC detailing that 50 new hotel properties are in various stages of development in Davidson County and that over the next two years, Nashville is gearing up to open 6,661 rooms.

For comparison, the company detailed that from 2016 to 2018, nearly 6,000 hotel rooms opened in Nashville, and more than 6,500 hotel rooms opened since 2019. According to that data, in the county of Nashville Davidson, the overall portfolio currently stands at 261 hotels comprising 38,120 rooms.

Premium Heights

In the high-end hotel segment, the TOPHOTELPROJECTS database shows that at least 28 projects are underway, totaling 6,228 keys. The vast majority of these projects – 79%/22 are in the high-end sector, with the remaining 21%/six sites being luxury builds.

The peak of the pipeline for these prime properties is 2023, with eight completions scheduled, followed closely by 2024 with seven. Only two more sites are expected to open by the end of this year, while the remaining 11 are either currently without delivery date will either appear in 2025 or beyond.

Brands to Watch

Only two brands have more than one site planned for the city, and both belong to the Hilton Worldwide stable. Programming a pair each is Tempo by Hilton and Tapestry Collection by Hilton.

One of them is Tempo by Hilton Nashville Downtown, a 306-room property located next to the future Nashville Yards development. The hotel will house 12,000 square feet of flexible indoor and outdoor meeting space, a state-of-the-art 2,000 square foot fitness center, expansive outdoor pool and bar, event lawn, and lobby on the fifth floor. floor with stunning views of downtown Nashville and the Nashville yards.

The site will also offer a variety of dining experiences, including a ground floor Bluestone Lane cafe with indoor and outdoor patio seating, the first on the Nashville market, a fifth floor bar and lounge with new American dishes to share and an outdoor pool bar offering a Mediterranean-inspired menu and specialty cocktails. It is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2024.

Green Edition

From the Marriott International portfolio, another major development is the 281-key Edition Hotel Nashville. Scheduled to open in the first quarter of 2024, the luxury hotel seeks to embrace the urban nature of the surrounding Gulch neighborhood while distinguishing itself from other developments. Plant life will be a key exterior feature of the 16-story hotel, an offering for guests seeking biophilic spaces in the city where greenery is less prevalent.

Material selection is crucial to the way the project presents itself, with brass-coloured metal and varied masonry aiming to create an inviting and warm entrance. Seeking LEED certification, the hotel will also include meeting space, a rooftop pool and bar, a spa/fitness center, and a private bar and retail lounge.

Comments are closed.