State Spends Over $ 9 Million on Revitalizing Historic Buildings – Conduit Street
The Hogan administration today announced that the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT), a division of the Maryland Department of Planning, has granted six projects more than $ 9 million in tax credits through the tax credit for historic revitalization, mobilizing more than $ 64 million in additional investment.
âThe tax credits will help revitalize communities, strengthen Maryland’s economy, and create new housing, business and artistic opportunities throughout our state,â Governor Hogan said. âOur administration is proud to provide this funding, which will preserve Maryland’s historic buildings for future generations. “
The Historic Revitalization Tax Credit, administered by MHT, has invested more than $ 425 million in Maryland rehabilitation projects since its inception in 1996. Investments have improved 5,194 landlords and 796 historic business structures , preserving buildings that contribute to the distinctiveness of Maryland counties. , towns, cities and rural areas.
âPlanning supports historic rehabilitation while advancing community revitalization and economic development,â Planning Secretary Rob McCord said. “This funding helps encourage the preservation and adaptive reuse of historic buildings and enhances the enjoyment of our state’s history, culture and scenic beauty.”
According to a Press release:
According to a study by the Abell Foundation, the program has helped create approximately 30,000 jobs through the construction and new or expanded occupation of these important historic resources.
The six projects selected for tax credits were based on an established set of criteria, including those defined by the US Secretary of the Interior for historic building rehabilitations.
The six winners are:
Wilkins Rogers Mill – Frederick Road, Baltimore County
$ 3 million awarded
Total estimated cost – $ 35 million
Located on the site of the historic Ellicott Brothers Flour Mill, the Wilkins Rogers Mill sits on the banks of the Patapsco River, across from historic downtown Ellicott City. The current mill complex dates from 1916-1917, with additions made in 1918 and 1941, and has large silos on the outside and inside. It remained in operation until 2020 and was the last active flour mill in the state. Historically an industrial complex, it will be rehabilitated into a mixed-use property with residential apartments and amenities, commercial spaces, a restaurant and a small museum highlighting the history of the site and the importance of flour production in the surrounding area.
Becker Bros. Tobacco Warehouse / Gieske & Niemann –
North Washington Street, Baltimore City
$ 1,750,000 awarded
Total estimated cost – $ 7 million
Built in 1875 by the Becker Bros. from Baltimore, this three-story, neoclassical-style warehouse with cast iron and brick ornaments has been used in light industry since its construction, especially for the tobacco industry. Its location next to the railroad tracks and three blocks from Gay Street, East Baltimore’s main commercial and industrial corridor, made it convenient for the import and export of raw materials and finished products. The project will rehabilitate the existing building into an updated commercial space, accommodating new commercial and retail programming.
Eastern Health District / Huntington Williams Building –
620 N. Caroline Street, Baltimore City
$ 3 million awarded
Total estimated cost – $ 15 million
The City of Baltimore built the Eastern Health District / Huntington Williams Building in 1953-1954 based on plans by Baltimore architect Charles Dana Loomis. Established in 1932, the Eastern Health District was born out of a partnership between the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health and the Baltimore City Health Department. The building, named after the former director of the Baltimore City Health Department Huntington Williams, is a prime example of the international style with clean modernist lines, low horizontal mass, ribbon windows and materials high quality, including limestone and black serpentine. Modernist design reflects the spirit of progress, optimism and mid-20th century technology. This project will transform the vacant office building into laboratory and office space.
Randall House – 86 State Circle, Anne Arundel County
$ 194,074 awarded
Total estimated cost – $ 970,370
Located in the Colonial Historic District of Annapolis and across from the Maryland State House, 86 State Circle is a significant example of Queen Anne / Eastlake style architecture. The building (a duplex) is one of the first of several large residences located opposite the Circle and North Street. It survives as a significant example of the influence of British architecture in the late 19th century, and a well-designed addition on the North Street side dates from the mid-20th century. The project will convert one side of the duplex into a boutique hotel by removing the non-historic interior partitions and adding new partitions to create nine guest suites. Windows and exterior elements will be cleaned and repaired as needed.
Updegraff Building – West Washington Street, Washington County
$ 847,957 awarded
Total estimated cost – $ 3,391,828
Located in the historic Hagerstown Commercial Core and built in 1882, this commercial building once housed a department store and the upper floors may have housed a glove production operation. Its front faÃ§ade is remarkably intact with Eastlake design cues, an original metal cornice at the top, and decorative brickwork. The building will be transformed into apartments with a restaurant and a brasserie on the ground floor.
Earles Building (aka Holly Building) –
West Washington Street, Washington County
$ 394,121 awarded
Total estimated cost – $ 12.5 million
This Tudor Revival style commercial building, built in 1926, features cast stone decorative elements atop the Washington Street facade and a crenellated parapet that was added in the 1930s. The owners have altered parts of the building – notably its storefront – over time, but the historic steel windows remain intact throughout the building. The building housed several department stores and discount chain stores on the ground floor with office space for rent available on the upper floors. It will be rehabilitated into apartments with a commercial space on the ground floor.