Vail Local Marketing District Advisory Board Launches Sustainability Campaign
The Vail Local Marketing District Advisory Board, which is responsible for marketing the destination to visitors during the non-winter months, has launched a sustainability campaign to educate local residents and guests on practices important to help protect and preserve the region for years to come. . The VLMDAC is responsible for creating economic vitality in the town of Vail in the spring, summer and fall and is funded by a 1.4% Vail accommodation tax which was passed by voters in 1999.
Over the past two months, VLMDAC has focused on launching an ongoing educational campaign throughout the year to educate visitors and residents about the importance of respecting and protecting our natural assets.
VLMDAC’s sustainability education effort is not only designed for direct messages to consumers, but provides local businesses and lodges with tools to help share important principles. The initial objective of the campaign includes:
- Integration of the City of Vail’s “Love Vail” sustainability programming on DiscoverVail.com, the destination marketing site created by VLMDAC. The content is designed to inform locals and visitors about the collective efforts of the destination to protect and preserve the region, as well as how people can get involved in these initiatives.
- A pre-arrival sustainability quiz has been launched to help educate visitors on things they can do before visiting Vail to better prepare and take care of the destination while they are here. Those who complete the quiz have the opportunity to win a free trip to Vail.
- A sustainability toolkit has been developed, including information on the principles of Leave No Trace, tips for preparing for a visit to Vail, resources for getting involved in the program and more. The toolkit was shared with all local Vail businesses and hosting partners. Content includes everything from the turnkey copy that hotels can include in pre-arrival emails, to social media posts, to post-stay survey copy and site information. Web. This information has been shared to encourage businesses and the accommodation community to incorporate this message into their customer approach.
- Educational brochures are distributed at visitor centers in Vail Village and Lionshead, as well as at some businesses in town.
- Key sustainability efforts are also incorporated into Discover Vail’s direct marketing campaign to customers, including paid social media targeting visitor arrival and during their stay, as well as a dedicated email campaign. .
For more information on VLMDAC’s ongoing efforts or to find out how your company can get involved, please contact Liz Gladitsch, Vail Town Economic Development Specialist, at (970) 477-3417 or lgladitsch @ vailgov. com.